A link the world of reality, family, and friends while we're off exploring the planet ...

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Look!! I see a stick!!!

There’s nothing like spending 10 days in some the most famous National Parks in Africa to make one realize just how little one knows about animals – especially what they really look like.

I’ve been to zoos – I promise! So at least in theory I know what a lion looks like. Also a giraffe, an elephant, and a zebra. But I can’t tell you how many times in the past week I’ve mistaken sticks and rocks for these animals. Some of the animals are even VERY big. You’d think: 1 - you'd be able to see the animal was there, and 2 - the difference between an elephant and a rock would be obvious. Or the difference between a cracked branch and a lion. Apparently not.

I suppose there is one other reasonable explanation for my complete lack of animal-spotting talent: I want to see the animals. I imagine they’re everywhere.

There are lots of animals, don’t get me wrong. I have seen more animals in a more concentrated area than ever before in my life. Seeing baboons, giraffe, elephants, gazelle, hippos, crocodiles, kori bustards, etc in their home environment has been incredible. No wonder the ones in the zoos at home look so sad. Compared to here, there is really so little space for them to roam around in zoos … and so little company for them. Even at Woodland Park Zoo or the Wild Animal Park in San Diego.

But the Serengetti (especially, of all the Parks we’ve been in) is a big place. There are huge concentrations of animals and huge expanses of grass and trees. And when you’re searching for lions, leopards, and cheetah in grass as tall as any of those cats …. Well, let’s say with a little imagination a stick can appear to be just about anythinhg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home